Saturday 11 April 2009

Easter 2.0

Strong tradition



As we celebrate Easter in this week, I want to write a topic connected with this holiday. In Poland Easter has great meaning and is celebrate very ceremonial. In fact this is the most important holiday in the hole year. As Christians, we go to the church to celebrate every year Jesus Christ resurrection. My family maintain this tradition and I also participate in it. Of course my favourite part is Wet Monday ;) Poland characterizes rich culture and tradition witch is proofed by this holiday, but can this tradition survive in XXI century?

New vision of Easter


New Easter cupcakes

Instead of civilization grown, Easter has been secularized and commercialized, traditions are changing too. People work longer, they don't have time to prepare to this holiday, they buy ready-to-eat Easter meals and even Easter baskets prepared in restaurants or shops. In Internet apears more and more ideas of 'new Easter holiday'. You can find new Easter dinner recipes e.g Cupcakes, travel agencies offer us to spend Easter at sea or in the mountains. Our children will celebrate this holiday in very different way...



Do you participate in such holidays? Do you think changing traditions is something natural or maybe we should worry? Maybe in the few years instead of going to church, we would login into some web page and click 'Poświęć koszyczek' button? :)

In this opportunity I would like to wish everybody happy Easter and tasty Easter egg and of course wet Monday! :)

source:
detnews.com

own experiences

14 comments:

  1. (s3572)

    I do participate.
    I'm against throwing tradition away just because but extending it with some stylish additions can be nice - I really enjoy the idea of cupcakes, why not?
    Maybe once there will be such button but I hope it'll have same glory as it has in church...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I also participate. Tradition is something that we must cultivate, because it is strongly connected with our feeling of nationality. I'll hope it will never come to "the buttons". But when it does we'll be already probably using "conffesion over sms" :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I do join my family in this time. But this year I wanted it to be a little different. Normally there is a lot of cleaning, a lot of preparation, cooking etc. which actually kills all the pleasure of heaving some holiday. So we worked a littke less this year. Went on a trip outside Warsaw and I can say that changing celebration style is needed.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Picture "My butt hurst" is awsome. I've printed it and put on a wall in my room ;D

    ReplyDelete
  5. my whole family participate and so am I,
    happily I didn't notice the commercialization of Easter, I spent holidays in the countryside and it couldn't be more traditional than it was, no worries then, i think future is looking bright for polish traditions

    ReplyDelete
  6. Same here... I also participate and I like it. But I don't see anything wrong in having an option. If someone is lonely... should he spend 3 or more days alone in his house? Everything(almost) is closed... there is nothing to watch in TV... nothing to do.
    I think that it is good that there are some trips offered by travel agencies and everyone can have some fun.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I also participate. I prepare Easter bucket with my hands too. I don't understand people who celebrate just for public. WHY?

    I also don't understand people who hate church and priest but want to be for example baptism witness? Maybe it's another topic but cause is the same..

    ReplyDelete
  8. Unfortunately we don't celebrate Easter like our grandparents and parents. This year I haven't feel that we have holidays - I think Christmas are special, have this magic atmosphere, and Eastern, I think, aren't so important for us. We don't have time to celebrate and think about family and friends. And, especially in cities, we don't go to the church - we are only happy that we have one day free... So I think...

    ReplyDelete
  9. I agree with Adam, nowadays Easter is more about couple days off, than celebrating death of Jesus. I am not very traditional in easter celebrations and I admit, that the most important thing about this time is possibility to spend some time with my family. Annoyingly we are forced to prepare for this period, because shops are closed, and it is a must to make huge supplies earlier.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Krzysztof… We are not celebrating the death of Jesus but the Resurrection of Jesus… It makes a “little” difference. I agree that nowadays we don’t celebrate this holiday like our grandparents, or maybe we are not children anymore and we do not feel the magic atmosphere? Anyway I hope that I will have more time in the future and the traditional Easter will come back ;)

    ReplyDelete
  11. I do not celebrate the easter itself, but I am very happy to have opportunity to spend some time with family.

    ReplyDelete
  12. The best thing in Easter is free time which we can use for something else then learning and working.. :) You are celebrating Resurrection of Jesus with pagans eggs :D :) But no offence I just joking, I also was believing in God some time ago, but suddenly I just realize that there is no point in all of this religions.. The point is in being good for other and my self too..

    ReplyDelete
  13. I also celebrated Easter with my family. I think that despite changes to this holiday it still didnt loose its tradition. Maybe there is more commercialization in it but not more then in any other holiday.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Easter is an important holiday for my family. Every year I have to leave Warsaw and visit my home town. There I meet my family and we go my grandmother's village house together. We spend few hours eating and drinking a lot. It is not possible to eat and drink with your family using the internet.

    ReplyDelete