Thursday 2 April 2009

Virtual Cocoon

This is not my day to write posts but last I was surfing on the Internet I found interesting article.

The article about new experimental device developed by English scientists from Warwick University - UK .


The device is a helmet which is capable not only show what is happening on the screen, and sends the smells and even taste.The point is that the design of the helmet includes a high-resolution screen, as well as a special system of pipes that bring different mixtures of odors and tastes, depending on what the observer sees on the screen.


By the way, the temperature inside the helmet is also monitored, and if the user sees on the screen of the Arctic wilderness, the helmet gets cold much, but if you would like to show a tropical beach - the helmet starts to heat up.

This helmet, called Developer Virtual Cocoon, is not a concept, but it is a real device - and after five years, scientists hope to develop the mass production of these helmets. The cost of such a device would be $ 2675.

What do you think about such devices ? Have you ever used sth like this ? Do you think that it will be in the future common device such game pad or wheel?
Copyrights: www.technovelgy.com

10 comments:

  1. My first thought - MATRIX. Maybe because i was watching animatrix yesterday? I don't know;) This device is bit scary but what the hell I want to try it:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. (s3572)

    I see another top-shelf gizmo for gamers and useless crap for everyone else. Sorry, can't see any useful function for that. Such 3D helmet with 360 display could be useful in many fields. However such thinks are not new...

    ReplyDelete
  3. I’m not sure if it is so new… I think that I have read about something like this before… but never mind.

    It would be nice for playing games… and maybe for people who can’t travel because they are sick but they can afford such a device. They would be able to experience things in virtual reality which they can’t experience in real life.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Bring it on! This is so great. I would even more than happy to be able to play with it.
    A bit more - full body suit - and we can enjoy virtual reality.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow that is great. About ten years ago I saw first virtual helmet. I couldn't even imagine how it works and how virtual game looks like until I tried. That was amazing, helmet was very expensive so I couldn't buy one for myself, but I promised to myself that some day I will have one.

    ReplyDelete
  6. It’s really interesting. Of course there is not nothing new in it. Sometimes we read about such kind of news but please keep in mind that we cannot buy such products. At the “Allegro” I have found only small goggles 3D but I think that they are not professional.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I think this device is ideal for game industry. I can't wait to see some MMORPG based on this "platfrom". ;)

    ReplyDelete
  8. In my opinion it is not good for games:D I won't feel taste of poison, or blood.. Or other strange things :D

    ReplyDelete
  9. I think that if something like this already exist the 1st place when it will go is military. Using this device one can create virtual reality. And for someone that dont know that its virtual it can be pretty real.
    But still.. there is an ethical question - Are for example virtual tortures equal real tortures?

    ReplyDelete
  10. You are right that this idea isn't new, but the newest version have enormous possible practical applications e.g. training soldiers or making virtual surgery and much more.

    ReplyDelete