Wednesday 25 March 2009

Boardgames history

I would like to start my presentation from some history:)
According to wikipedia Senet may be the oldest board game in the world. It's dated to 3500 BC, after this game was another ancient game named Mehen (3000 BC), both origin in Ancient Egypt.


Something about 2337–2258 BC according to legends and wikipedia:D in China Chinese emperor Yao designed a game for his son, called GO, probably most of you have heard this name before...

However, you are probably wonder what about famous Chess, sit and grab something strongly, Chess has been invented at 6th century in India and was known as "caturanga". Origins of the modern version of Chess is dated in the 18th century.
I will not wriate about game play of this games, because if you are interested, you could read about it on wiki. Pictures above are copied from wikipedia.org.
Afther this realy short history I would like to underline that it's not a complete history:) Just most obvious and important dates in connection to board games topic:)
Anyway, who cares with history:D:)
In next post I would like to tell you something about modern games etc.

11 comments:

  1. (s3572)

    I remember some story about chess:
    Some smart man invented chess and give it to his king.
    The ruler was so pleased that he wanted to reward him with whatever he wanted. The man asked the king to put for him as an reward one wheat grain on the first square of the chess board, two grains on the second one, four on the 3rd one...and two times more for each of the squares.
    That gives over 18 quintillion of grains - more than world could produce that time...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Quite interesting fairytale:) I have never been so interested with chess as you, but I could say that I likes this game too... It's one of my favourite classic games:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have heard that tale too. But as i remember in the end king ordered to hang that inventor for making fun of him ;]

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like to know history about things, games that we used in real life. Quite interesting story.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This story is well known but each time i see it...well let's just say that reading it is still enjoyable :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Interesting I thought that chess was invite by ancient Greek…
    Ok I admit I never think about it ;)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I really like most of board games, I only regret that there is so few really innovative games.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Maybe.. but for me It's to much of innovative games.. :D My new game is Puerto Rico.. It's great:D And there is much more games, which wants me to bought them.. :D

    ReplyDelete
  10. The history of chess didn't end two hundred years ago. In fact, new inventions and ideas are put into practice all the time. For example little plastic chessboards have been designed for tourist purposes. Me and my friends have recently bought a chessboard for three people play! There are white figures, black figures, and red figures for the third person. I wonder when somebody will invent chess for more than three players...

    ReplyDelete
  11. I like chess, it evolve your brain etc. but nowadays children prefer rather other types of games, and even if they start play chess it's an on-line version...and it's not the same

    ReplyDelete