Sunday 3 May 2009

Beer collectibles


We have seen our colleague’s board games collection so there is at least one person familiar with collectibles on this blog.
I’d like to introduce you to beer collectibles, or as we could call it - breweriana collectibles. Among the first beer collectibles were bottle caps, or crowns and labels, but nowadays it also includes beer cans, bottles, glassware, openers, tin signs, beermats(a coaster), drop catchers, and any other kinds of advertisers like pens, neon signs etc

The history of beer labels is much younger than the beer itself. Until XIX century, the beer haven’t been poured into bottles. And then the need of marking bottles appeared. The oldest labels of Tyskie Browary Książęce date back to the 20s of our century. World largest beer labels collection contain more than a two hundred thousand items.
Beer glassware also refer to beer steins – a traditional beer mug, made of pewter, silver, wood, porcelain, earthenware, or stoneware; and with open tops or hinged lids

The need for bottle openers starts with the bottle cap. Bottle cap is an innovation of the 1890s
Drop catcher is a small piece of absorbent paper put on the bottom of a beer glass to avoid that liquid contaminates the table, it differ from beermat, which is a coaster used to rest glasses of beer upon

So, you are a collector who wants to trade or exchange your breweriana, there is a perfect place where you can do both, and even more – it’s a beer festival and exchange fair held each year in Zywiec. Homebrew contest also takes place during the festival. More than five thousand visitors and almost two thousand exhibitors showed up last year. There is also a chance to visit old Zywiec brewery and museum. By the way, there is also very nice place in Tychy, where the old building dating back to 1902 was converted into Tyskie museum of beer and brewing.
I’d like to ask you, do you collect anything, and maybe you participate in some community events?

13 comments:

  1. I used to collect many things... but it usually didn't last long and I was searching for something else to collect or I was trying to find a new hobby.

    For many years there was one thing that I enjoyed doing... collecting it also was fun... and now it is my main hobby... computer games.

    It's not like this that I buy every game available on the market just to have it in my collection. I buy those games which I want to play and apart from having fun while playing I have one more game to add to my collection.

    There aren't many comunity events for computer(video) game collectors but there are many connected to games where you can meet many interesting people who also collect games and not only play them.
    There are also some internet blogs, web pages, forums, boards etc. where people show photos of their collections, exchange games which aren't available on the market anymore etc.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Like s3665 said i have the same when it comes to computer games. I collect these one which i liked very much when i was a boy but don't have enough cash to buy them. I'm talking about games such (and already have them in my collection):
    - Roller Coaster Tycoon
    - Emergency
    - Fallout
    - Commandos
    - The Settlers
    - Flight Simulator
    - and few other...

    I've been also collecting car marks. But I was not stealing it from cars on parkings but from crashed ones on scrap yards.
    According to Łukasz topic I have also quite big collection with beer bottle's caps and labels. :) Someday maybe I'll put them onto frame and hang on to wall ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Heh... that may sound a bit funny. When I was in primery school I used to collect... stones :D Not just round pebbles, they had to be somehow interesint. I even had one of a shape of knife with fingers impressed in it. It was real fun.
    I still have some specimens in the box together with other thing from mny childhood.
    I don't collect anything now.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Now i'm a collector of car models in 1/43 scale. Especially FIAT cars and polish one like "Żuk", "Maluch", "Warszawa" etc. I'm an owner of all collection of "Kultowe Auta PRL" :) It cost 25 zl but watching of trabant on your shelf.... priceless :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I used to collect many things such as: magic the gathering cards, tazos;) from potato chips, board games, stickers etc.
    Now I'm collecting coins and stamps. Or maybe i must say that I just have a collection of coins and stamps fro my grandfather.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I was collecting transformer toys, beer cans, car models, music and now I'm collecting games. That's it. raspi0(), You have a big shelf ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. About 3 years ago I have started collecting old, vintage audio components. I am a good audio enthusiast and I enjoy listening, looking and collecting amplifiers and speakers from 60s, 70s and 80s. The reason is that in those days manufacturers made outstanding equipment, where production cost was not the most important thing. Build quality, looks and sound is incomparable to anything sold today.

    ReplyDelete
  8. hm, there's a pub at praga północ called "po drugiej stronie lustra" where the whole toilet walls are decorated with various beer labels. looks quite impressive imo :)

    if you ask if i like collecting things then my answer is simple: no. taking care of any material items, sorting them etc. is so frustrating.. i get bored very fast. in general i hate paying any special attention to keeping things i own in good condition.

    ReplyDelete
  9. As You mentioned on the beginning.. Yes I like collecting things.. I have bard games now, but before I had movies, books, pc games, pc :D But I never stay too long with some hobby.. I like changes.. :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hmm, I have realized now that I am collecting nothing ;)
    In the past I collected bins (Coca-Cola Company), stamps, books and MTG cards but now I don’t continue this hobby. Maybe because during the last 5 years I changed my dwelling place very often and I try to limit my things as much as possible. But I would like to collect something, something small, maybe on-line. Do you know if there is a possibility to collect virtual MTG cards online? ;)

    ReplyDelete
  11. When i was younger i used to collect whatever i could. In my hometown i still have some boxes with telephone cards from all over the world, stamps, etc :) Now i collect music cds and manga books..

    ReplyDelete
  12. I can say that I'm collecting music stored on hdd in MP3 format. I collect almost every kind of music (I sort files by genre, date of release or artist) I can't estimate exactly how many files I have, but I think it will be about 200-300GB at the moment.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Beer Mat Hunter – the web search engine that helps you find beer mat collectors and their collections on the World Wide Web.

    Welcome to Beer Mat Hunter website: http://beermat.webnode.com/

    ReplyDelete