Friday 1 May 2009

Home brewing and "the product"

Homebrewing – a hobby, tradition, a search for the new taste?
So what do we need to brew our own beverage? Actually not much, in a nutshell, some malt, hop, yeast, one big pot, a bucket, thermometer, big spoon, some sugar, empty bottles, few liters of water and few hours in the kitchen. I’ll skip some details, and we can divide the whole process into few stages

1. First, crushing the malt – we can use coffee grinder or just buy the malt that was already prepared.
2. then the mashing – combining a mix of malt with water,
3. heating the water in the pot to 62-64degrees for 30minutes, then increase the temperature to 70dg for another 30minutes, and the last stage is 78dg for 5minutes.
4. After mashing and boiling the liquid is called wort and the next step is to separate this liquid extract from the scraps of malt found in the mash – the filtering.
5. We add the hops to the wort and again boil it for 75minutes.
6. After boiling the wort is preferably cooled to a room temperature and the yeasts are added, and the fermentation begin.
7. After 2 weeks we transfer our beer to bottles, add cup of sugar and wait another 2 weeks for final fermentation.


So whole process takes about 4-5weeks. Looks difficult? Well it's not. And buying homebrew starters kit simplify the process even more.
But is it worth to spend few hours preparing the beer and then waiting few weeks to actually taste it? In the era of mass production, where everything is based on providing the same standardized product where the quantity not quality matters people tend to search for “premium” products. Whole foods, good quality meats and sausages, breed etc. As for beers, small breweries don’t have a huge selling power, it’s rather unlikely that you find something besides big beer consortiums in your local shop. Major problem is the channel of distribution. What’s quite new for Poland is a brewpub which is a pub or restaurant that brews beer on the premises. There are sixteen different brewpub in Poland, and 2 in Warsaw – Bierhalle (Arkadia and Nowy Świat) and BrowArmia. Have you ever been to one?
Once you taste beer from small, traditional brewery which use old recipes and methods for brewing(especially unpasteurized and unfiltered ones) you will realize there’s nothing special about e.g. Żywiec. My question is, do you seek better products? Is everything what we see on tv, magazines etc is really that good? Does small, more natural manufacturers need advertising? Maybe you bake your own bread?

photo courtesy of browamator.pl

12 comments:

  1. Now you're scaring me :)

    But i'll try to answer your questions...

    "do you seek better products?"

    Of course... all the time ... seriously. I try to get the best product in every sphere of my life. Starting with food and finnishing with computers, TV sets etc.

    I just can't stand fruits, vegetables etc. not having any taste at all or having a different taste than suspected :)

    When it comes to computers, tv sets etc. I sometimes prefer to pay more for a better quality product which is made by a well known company... even though I know that there is the same or almost the same product made by other company and it is cheaper... I had some troubles before and now I enjoy having peace of mind with well working "equipment" even though I paid much for it and/or I had to wait for it a little bit longer than for "similar" product which is available in every shop.

    "Is everything what we see on tv, magazines etc is really that good?"

    Thats rather rhetorical question... of course not everything on tv or magazines is good. Commercials or press advertisments make us feel that everything is great and worth having... but it's not... and I believe that everyone on this blog know it.

    "Does small, more natural manufacturers need advertising?"

    It depends... but generally they are well known in their town, city or just in a district and if their products are good then they will have enough customers to sell their products.

    "Maybe you bake your own bread?"

    Of course... every day :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Interesting topic. Do you know if in Warsaw I can buy a stuff for making beer ?

    Making own bread and beer sounds great ! But telling the truth let's leave that for professionals. In my opinion it is good to know how something works how to do something, for example making own beer could be great fun but I'm worried about the law, because I know that for example "pędzić bimber" ;) is forbidden in Poland, what about the beer ? Even if you do it, you couldn't sell it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hmmm very interesting.
    Few mounts ago I have made a sake (wine from a rice). It’s quite good for someone who likes dry and very strong wine. The whole process took 2 months and ingredients cost 50 zł. As a result I have made 30 liters of wine. So it’s worth to pay a little effort and stockpile this noble alcohol for the whole year ;)

    Thank you for the information about those brewpub. Next time, perhaps very soon, I will go there and try this brewery.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I sure will try this. It's a great satisfaction to have your own products. We tried to produce wine from grapes growing in my garden and it wasn't bad, but juice is better.
    IMHO quality of products is dropping constantly. Even paying more doesn't mean you will receive a better product. So producing food and drinks yourself is an option. At least you know, what you eat and drink.

    What about law... oh come on... don't tell me you've never been speeding in your car.
    If you don't sell it, nobody should care.

    Try making quince ligueur. It tastes excellent.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Stuff for making beer you can easily buy in big garden market for example OBI, PRAKTIKER. It;s great fun but not cheap enough. Maybe someday i'll try :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. You can also buy such equipment on allegro. They have lots of products and brands to buy and brew. But I personally doubt that taste of homemade beer is good. There is so much work to brew a few litters of homemade beer so i'd rather prefer to buy few cans from shop. Also I'm not so big fan of bear.

    ReplyDelete
  7. You can also buy it in leroy merlin :-), but I think that brewing other kinds of alcohol is more interesting. :-). I'm not an alcoholic. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hey, that’s great! Once I tried to make my own Cherry- liqueur. I used couple kilograms of cherry’s and sugar. The idea was to put into a huge bottle 5 cm of cherry’s and cover them with 3 cm of sugar until the bottle is almost full. After couple weeks the juice should be mixed with alcohol (99%). Whole process took about 4 months and the result was awesome. ;o)

    ReplyDelete
  9. hmm, home-made beer and bread are quite popular somewhere in scandinavia afaik. you can buy this special kits in almost every shop.

    but to be honest i've alredy tried some beers made that way and i wasn't very excited.

    but home-made wine/vodka is something totally different.. and that's a GREAT hobby imo :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Is it legal?:> hehe:D I never try anything like this... maybe once.. wine, ok twice.. some vodka with fruit called: "pigwa" and alcohol named: "pigwowka"... ok... more then twice.. I made beer with my parents.. ok! but it's not mean that I am addicted? :D

    ReplyDelete
  11. I have noticed that lately is a kind of 'fashion' for home made products ;] I think that all this phenomenon have its roots in humans philosophy. People think that if they do somethink with their own hands it will be better.

    I remember that some time ago my parents used to make somethink called 'podpiwek'. I dont think that it was alkoholic beer but it tasted great :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. I cultivate a tradition of making wine every year. I make it in the late summer time from grapes and of course not every time it works out but it's interesting experience ;) And recently I started to make tincture of cherry and it tastes great!

    ReplyDelete