Thursday 7 May 2009

I haven't participate in many weddings. However I know some traditional stuff which I find really funny. I really enjoy "the carriage" game where people play roles of different parts enclosed in that old-style vehicle. As far as I know it's very common in our country just like throwing glasses for good luck. However I know another tradition that is not so common nowadays and only cultivated on west area of our country. It's called polterabend and shortly it's a small party for neighbors and friends who won't be invited to the wedding. However to fully obey the tradition everyone dress funny (men in pink dresses are desired just like women wearing devil's horns). The party takes place in garden of bride's parents and the . Everyone come with bags full of paper scups and old dishes to be broken. Then they make a extreme mess out of the backyard and next morning the engaged couple is supposed to clean up the place --- and feel that the merriage is a lot of hard work...



Well maybe it's not so pleasant tradition for the marrying couple but it's a lot of fun for the guests... For sure we can be glad that "tradition" of "right for the first night" past years ago...

Are there any special wedding traditions in the region you come from?
Do you know any foreign traditions you find funny or disgusting?

12 comments:

  1. When my brother was getting married I had an occasion to experience this. It's a tradition so there's no reason trying to fight with it.
    God bless car tires after such party :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. In Polish weedings there is one similar tradition, drink to be extremely drunk :) Especially in the country:) I Was on several weddings and must tell that this tradition never die :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. This tradition about the mess out of the backyard is in my opinion quite stupid. Of course we can say that they do this all mess because they have not been invited to the wedding. I believe that it is fun for the neighbors and friends who won't be invited to the wedding but for the engaged couple it is a real horror to clean all this mess.
    When it comest to the wedding traditions in my region named Warmińsko-Mazurski, there is also throwing glasses behind, bread salt and vodka, the rest of them i don't remember ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Interesting tradition you have mentioned there... i have to remember not to remember about it when it will be time for my wedding :)

    I wasn't really interested in wedding traditions yet... ocasionally I could have seen some dressed limos and people throwing rice... nothing uncommon :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think this tradition with mess isn't so funny for young couple... they have to clean all this when they should get ready for the wedding.
    I know some weird wedding tradition. My friend was last summer at the wedding and if he wanted to win vodka he should wear flippers and dance in them with his girlfriend. It was stupid, with no sense. Maybe it was funny for other people who watched that but my friend was really angry, had corns and felt like an idiot.
    I like one thing on weddings, when you have to buy a dance with a young couple - you pay so much as you want and dance with bride or groom until someone else come. This tradition is called "getting money for a pram". And it's really funny :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. sounds fun, but i don't understand why do you have to get married to do such a thing. all the superstitions about luck and joy are just pure nonsens, so.. forget about wedding and all kinds of 'special ocassions' and just enjoy every day of your life ;)

    ReplyDelete
  7. There are some really strange traditions that I don't understand. Cultivating some of them doesn't really harm but can eventually help, so why not? I will tell You more after my wedding :-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. actually I cannot think of any special wedding traditions, maybe because i've been to wedding only two times and I don't remember most of it ;/ I know those games sound stupid but they could be funny at the very moment of the wedding party

    ReplyDelete
  9. I have throwing glass on wedding of my cuisine... funny tradition.. It was firs time when I drink so much of vodka:D Hehe.. legally :D hehe:D But I didn't know any other special tradition.. everything else was the same as elsewhere..

    ReplyDelete
  10. I have never heard about this tradition. I have heard only about “the gate”. When the groom and bride are going to the church people block the way and they want something as a ‘redemption for the bride’. They start negotiations. Usually they want some alcohol ;)

    ReplyDelete
  11. This tradition is not the most pleasant one for sure.. Im planning my own wedding in near future and im afraid of any strange or stupid traditions. The worst part of it all is 'oczepiny'. Im very shy person and dont like being in the centre of attention so i cant imagine it yet. I just hope that all that 'games' can be discussed with DJ or whoever runs party..

    ReplyDelete
  12. I didn't know that such tradition exists at polish weddings but I'm not very surprised there are so many strange traditions in polish culture, e.g. as raspi0 mentioned "drink to the end" ;]

    ReplyDelete