Wednesday 27 May 2009

Unknown models of PF 126

I'm going to write some about the "most exciting" polish car in PRL. Fiat 126p. Exactly about unknown prototypes of this small car. It is amazing how many creative idea has polish engineers from OBR (Osrodek Badawczo-Rozwojowy) in Bielsko-Biała.

Lets start with Fiat 126p "BOMBEL". This prototype were built in 1974. There weren't rear part of roof. Instead of were small box from laminate to carry a package. It's called "BOMBEL" becouse of rounded shape this box.



Fiat 126p COMBI was built in 1976. It has newer engine which could works in level. Thanks to this technology, it could carry more luggage. It has also third doors opened to upward. Max capacity was 500 dm3 and after assembled rear row of seat, was 1000dm3. Max speed of this model was 105 km/h.



FIAT 126p LONG: was build in 1975 and was longer than classic one by 100 mm. Thanks to this, especially on full of holes road of PRL, it was more comfortable. It has stronger engine and his top speed was 110 km/h.



FIAT 126p "RYJEK": It has longer front hood becouse it was first Fiat 126p with front drive. Engine has 650 cm3 cubic capacity and was cooled by air. It has also disc brake and McPerson column in front sunspension.



FIAT 126p CABRIO: Fiat 126p without roof. It Was newest one and has the best chance to move into mass production. The only barrier was intensify regulations about noise in cars in UE.



Which of this prototypes would you buy if any? Why?

13 comments:

  1. the cabrio one looks lovely :)

    a few years ago i saw a fiat 126p on.. Malta!
    i couldn't belive that, especially that it had local license plates.

    why would anyone there want to buy such a car? is it possible that this kind of car was so exciting for somebody there? or was that just some kind of coincidence? i have no idea..

    ReplyDelete
  2. If I had to buy one of these prototypes, I would buy cabrio model. But I’m not impressed with these prototypes.
    Cabriolet would be quite good for Sunday’s trip to the lake.
    But in any case Fiat 126p has only history now.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yeah, Fiat 126p Cabrio kicks ass! ;)

    My friend has very old Fiat 126p (made in Italy!), it has brilliant technical condition and it works! And my neighbour had "Maluch" Cabrio long time ago but I suppose it was home-made construction but it looks nice ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. If I had to choose I would choose Long one...

    Why?
    I don't know really... I like to have roof over my head and although cabrio has a roof I think it wouldn't be trouble-free...

    Bombel... well... let's just say this design is not for me... same goes for Ryjek.

    So here we are with 126p LONG :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. The cabrio one. I also saw some terrain versions :-). How is it possible that the 126 LONG had a stronger engine and it could only drive 110km/h? How much was it stronger, 2HP? :-) A few years ago I saw one Fiat126p on the desert in egypt! That was something! I wonder why it didn't overheated? :-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I haven't known about those models. I've seen some different models but I thought they were customized by owners, like my mother used to have - without passenger's front seat :D

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have never had this car - maybe I'm too young ;-) - but in my opinion it has its own soul. I remember... my parent had PF 126. It was red and I loved it. Almost every Sunday my father ordered me to clean its windows but it wasn't any problem for me. I've always dreamed about car like that. Nowadays I have better one ;) but I've never forgotten my magic moments with PF 126 ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I will always remember Fiat 126 same like director of "Nic smiesznego" - orange corpse. This model was horribly designed, made and produced. Every part in 126 moving during the ride. The was no space inside. I can't imagine today how peoples could drive this think or dreamed about buying this car.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Cabrio version is sweet. Once I have a pf126p and it was a hell of a car ;-) Ideas were basically good, but the market wasn't prepared for that products

    ReplyDelete
  10. I had 2 pf126s and I loved them. Seriously I think having a pf126 is both cool and it learns you how to drive responsibly. ;o)

    ReplyDelete
  11. I've read about this in MOTOR magazine a long time ago. If I have to choose one I would choose a FIAT 126p LONG because of its stronger engine, longer ... and its amazing speed 110 km/h ;) For the weekend I would choose this cabrio one Fiat 126p without roof :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. If i rally had to choose from above i would go after cabrio ;] i dont think that noise would be much greater then in standard version :P And i always wanted to drive a cabrio for at least one time in my liftemie..

    ReplyDelete
  13. At present I have my own one of the last Fiat 126p on polish roads. I call it Malar becouse of the size. My car was made in 1987 year and is still in good condition. I love to drive it even if is unconfortable. It doesn't have AC and all this usefull stuff, but I think that is better to have old Fiat than moveing by public transport.

    ReplyDelete