Monday 18 May 2009

Windows 7 - Touch me

“Over the past few years, you've asked us to make some changes to Windows. We listened closely. Now it's time to share an early look at how we've used your feedback. Windows 7 is faster, more reliable, and makes it easier to do what you want. Both the everyday things and the killer is that really possible?" – cited from site
http://www.microsoft.com/windows/windows-7/


For years Microsoft has been investing in many forms of natural interaction with PC's and devices. Through times engineers from Microsoft have been working to improve graphical user interface to make work faster and more comfortable. I remember a film which Microsoft published some years ago about technology in the future. In this film people use voice to communicate with computer and instead of keyboards they use touch screen. Every device is connected to the Internet even if it is a small gadget. People use them in a natural way contemporarily in videoconferences, booking tickets and writing notes (by pen in the special electronic paper).
It was like this:





Now Windows 7 recognizes the writing text and multi-touch support for touch screen. Speech recognition, something which was once considered science fiction, is enabling many Windows users to see, hear, and use their computers for the very first time.
Today we expect this technology to get widespread use and see it in public places like; devices in hotels, hospitals, retail establishments, restaurants and entertainment venues. Not only that it will look like an exclusive place (“wowww this place is so modern….”), but it’s really helpful! Touch is quickly becoming a common way of a direct interaction with software and device. Touch-enabled surfaces are very popular. They are in laptop touch pads, mobile phones, mp3 players, remote controls, GPS devices, and so on.

In Windows 7 Microsoft improves windows management to a better behaviour for touch. Like I have mentioned above that is multi touch. It means that you may use more than one finger to do something. You may also use touch gestures which we know from many applications for example: Opera web browser. In the basic set there are gestures like tap and drag, as well as scroll, back, forward, right-click, zoom in, zoom out, and rotate. Windows 7 is improving high dpi support which is necessary to a precision ‘click’ in small elements of user interface like small buttons or positions in the menu.
Please see this video about gestures:




And as a summary of this article please see this video.




How do you think, about these new varieties of communication: speaking to PC, touching or natural writing? What will be next? Maybe we should once again attentively read Lem’s books to know something more about our future?

11 comments:

  1. Natural writing(hand writing) isn't that new... it is already in some smartphones (like omnia) with Windows Mobile.

    To use multi-touch we would have to have every monitor that enables "touching". It isn't that common in our country so probably this won't be used so much... but it can be useful in some other countries :)

    Voice recognition can be useful... it could speed up our work :)

    In "Tom Clancys: End War" (strategic game) you can use voice orders. Your units will obey and do what you ask. Of course it is limited to few orders but it is a good start :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. First movie is real cool. Watching it 5 years ago you could say that it is a SF movie but i belive that as soon as possible such functionality will be common and present in every household.
    When it comes to touch screens a have feelings that something what is to watching shouldn't be touching. Why ? Because when i bought some day a few years ago a handy cam with touch screen lcd viewer first feeling was "cool" but after further using there was a lot of fingerprints on the screen and a image was badlooking ... Las week a play with iphone and i have to say that i've noticed same problem, but not such big. Generally speaking besides of dirty screen, tuouch screens are cool.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yeah, we are slaves of technology :) Last time we have electric breakdown after big storm. And during this time there was no hot water, no hot meal (electric cooker), small flood from thawed fridge, and no internet. I'm afraid what we have to do in 2019 where can be similar breakdown. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. good point raspi0

    "Windows 7 is faster, more reliable, and makes it easier to do what you want" we've heard that with win95, 98, me, 2000, xp, vista... Just nobody has mentioned you're going to need 128GB of RAM and 32core processor LOL

    I'm happy to see the progress and new technology and can't wait to see them used in some useful applications - science, medicine for example zooming organs during an operation using your voice.
    Everything looks pretty cool but as for me - I don't need that. Not for home use.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think that Windows 7 will be definitely better then Vista, just because everything is better then that :P

    Ah.. and from my friend who downloaded and installed latest beta version of W7 i have heard that it has 'secret weapon' for all problems.. which is built-in Vritual machine which can emulate Windows XP :D

    ok now seriously.. I dont think that all of that gadgets will suddenly become so important that we wont manage to live without it. In my opinion it should be stable and compatible with most of devices at least in level of Win Xp.

    And as far as touching devices are concerned i simply hate them :) Some time ago i have bought SE p1i phone with Symbian, touching screen, and qwerty keyboard. It even has word recognizing so you can write with pensil on it. But what makes is so bad is its speed. I usually have to wait 5-10 sec when i want to write an sms or open phone book.. and i wont even mention how often it crashes..

    So basicly .. it should be stable and fast working in the 1st place and then we can consider some gadgets.. other way it seems just pointless..

    sorry for that long comment :p

    ReplyDelete
  6. yet another wonderful microsoft product.. *sigh*

    ReplyDelete
  7. Another "Doors" system. Touching has it's cons,the main one: You can get Your screen dirty, and I know what I'm saying :-). I hate it when I have to clean my screen every time I do something on my phone. Thank goodness for the stylus and a hardware keyboard. Another Vista? No, thank you...

    ReplyDelete
  8. I hope that new Windows 7 will be as good as they said, maybe even better then Windows XP ? :> :D However, from few months I just waiting to end of studies and I will install Ubuntu on my notebook, I hope I will used to it, because I just hate Windows XP, Vista, Windows Mobile, Windows 98.. I HATE those systems! :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm using Windows 7 right now and I must say I'm totally impressed by speed and stability of this Operating System. I even installed it on my netbook with Atom CPU and 1GB of RAM and it work great. If final version is so good as this RC I will definitely buy it.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I tested Windows 7 beta and it's faster then Vista but I feel that this is optimized Vista... I don't think it's a brand new product and after some time it can emerged that Windows 7 has same bugs as Vista, and I wouldn't be surprised ;]

    ReplyDelete
  11. have You noticed that Microsoft does every other good OS? Firstly there was pretty good windows 98SE, then terrible ME, which after a year after relase dissappeard from their official website, then there was good XP, and after that teriible Vista. Following that pattern I hope Windows 7 should be good. ;o)

    ReplyDelete